Romer in minor final victory

Niall Romer, who won an appeal against a two month suspension that was handed down by Clare GAA after the 2012 minor hurling final.

ALL-IRELAND junior winning hurler and intermediate winning selector Niall Romer has vented his fury at Clare GAA this week after he won his appeal against a two-month ban that was handed down to him arising out of last October’s controversial Minor A hurling final between Clarecaste and Kilmaley.
Speaking to The Clare People on Monday, the Kilmaley man hit out at the board and claimed that he was “hung out to dry” after the row that marred the minor decider won by his club by 1-16 to 1-15.
“I was very disappointed and very angry that the county board would say publicly that the incident that happened in the minor final wouldn’t be brushed under the carpet and that no one would be hung out to dry,” blasted Romer in a brief statement.
“It was brushed under the carpet and I felt that I was hung out to dry after the whole incident. I got two months for nothing and other people got one month,” added Romer, who captained Clare to All-Ireland Junior success in 1993.
Romer, who was a selector on the Clare intermediate team that won All-Ireland honours in 2011, took his appeal to his two-month suspension to the Hearings Committee of the Clare County Board on Friday night.
A Clare County Board source has told The Clare People that Romer, who was coach to the Kilmaley minor team in the controversial final that was played on October 27 in Sixmilebridge, produced photographic evidence proving that he wasn’t the aggressor in a row that also involved Clare’s double All-Ireland winning captain and former manager, Anthony Daly, Stephen Sheedy and Tommy Howard.
Arising out of the incidents that occurred mid-way through the second half and held up play for over five minutes, Bord na nÓg Iomáint launched an investigation.
Subsequently, Romer was one of four mentors handed suspensions, with the Clarecastle trio of Tommy Howard (two months), Anthony Daly and Stephen Sheedy (one month each) also being punished by the board for their role in the row.
Both clubs were also fined (Clarecastle €3,000 and Kilmaley €2,000), while they had until December 13 to appeal the sanctions handed down by the underage board.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.